Saturday, March 5, 2011

How to Wear a Shift Dress

I included this dress in my 30 for 30 challenge, but I never wore it!  I used the items from my 30 for 30 to create a TON of different looks.  If I were using my whole closet I could do many more looks too!

Here goes:
Just a basic Calvin Klein grey and black shift dress.  It does have a pattern, but it reads as a neutral. 
Add some chunky jewelry and belt to define the waist and heels and you have a simple classic look that can be changed easily by changing the jewelry.  Add some fun colored jewelry or pile on a few necklaces.

Add a skinny belt and matching shoes and you have a very pulled together look.

Add a fun colored belt to add some interest.

Add a wide belt for a simple look.  The wide belt really defines the waist.

Add a shirt over the top and some boots.  I love the pattern peaking out at the top!
You could even add a belt over the top!

Put a colored cardigan over the top.

Add a belt over the colored cardigan and you have another different look.

Add the cardigan under the dress and there is another look.  I am not a huge fan of this look, but . . .

I like it more with a wide belt over the top.

Add a skirt over the top of the dress and the dress reads as a shirt!

Put a cardigan over . . . I like this look much better than the skirt over alone.

Add a skinny belt, matching shoes, and a blazer.  I LOVE this look!

If you put the belt over the blazer you have an edgy-er look.

My button-up was in the wash, but you could also put that over and belt it or under with the sleeves and collar peaking out.  I'll have to take a picture and add it here. 

You can also switch up the colors and have different look each time!

So, there you have it!  You can take a basic shift dress and create many many looks!! I wanted to call this post "a million way to wear a shift dress" but I like the how to title better!  Just add or change the accessories and you have a completely different look!

Which was your favorite?  Are there any ideas that I missed?

12 comments:

ApplesandPencils said...

Wow--What an informative post! I have a lot of sheath dresses in my closet but they are usually in hiding until we have warmer weather. I've wanted to try wearing it with a button-down underneath, but I've been too lazy to try it.

My favorite is the last one. The red adds a punch of color, the belt has a nice slimming effect, and the blazer makes the outfit look polished.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together!

Jena Snowden said...

Ok I know I said this when you hemmed the jeans, but you really amaze me! Thanks for sharing.

Tara said...

My favorite is the last one also. Super chic...and super slimming! Great post, thanks! Now I have some new ideas for my sheath. :)

Tara said...

That must have been a lot of work! I love all your creative ideas, especially where you wore a shirt over the dress and the red shirt under it. Great job!

cupcake adventures said...

Great ideas! i love the one with the blazer and belt! Awesome post! Hope you have a good weekend.

Keri said...

Wow! I had no idea one shift dress could be worn so many different ways. I have been considering finding the right one and now it looks like I can't live without one. Thanks for the ideas!

Hope said...

AMAZING POST!! Thanks so much for doing this! I love the red shirt underneath and belted. Such great looks!

Anne said...

This is such a great post! I've avoided shift dresses thinking they weren't that versatile, but you've opened my eyes to lots of potential.

Angeline said...

1) That dress is amazingly beautiful. That Calvin knows his stuff.

2) I LOVE your tips! My fave would have to be the second-to-last one (blazer, belted under). So pretty!

Nancy said...

With this dress the skinny red belt looks great (with blazer or without). Well done!

Charlotte said...

Loved this post! Amazing how much you can do with just a few items.

Rekha said...

Great post.
With this dress the skinny red belt looks great (